A Night in The Emergency Room

Last night was the absolute worst! After an extra day in the hospital, I finally got to go home Friday night. I was still in pretty bad pain, but I was walking on my own and it didn’t hurt (as bad) to breathe.Well, that was short lived. As Saturday day went into evening, I got much sicker. My ability to walk was nearly gone. Pain medicines were not working, my drain tubes were filling with a large amount of fluid and my temperature was beginning to spike. After my fever hit 102.5 mom decided it was time to take me to the emergency room. She had been trying to talk me into it for a few hours, but I was in so much pain and honestly I just couldn’t get up to walk downstairs to get into the car. But finally, it was time.Image result for pain

I was so sick and in so much pain that I didn’t even put on clothes or shoes … or brush my hair for that matter. I slowly and painfully walked downstairs to my car with a messy bun in my hair, my pajamas on and house shoes on my feet.

Although there are hospitals near me, we wanted to go where my surgeons are at because they are familiar with my case. So we made the hour + trek to Annapolis. Mom dropped me off at the front door and I slowly walked into the ER. I must have truly looked like death because I didn’t even sign in and they had me back in the triage room.

My chest hurt, my stomach hurt, but my head was pounding – the worst migraine I have ever had in my life.  They kept giving me more medicine, but the more medicine they gave me, the more my head throbbed.

It got to the point where my head hurt so much I didn’t even notice the pain in my chest any more.

I was on this tiny gurney that a woman half my size would have hard time laying on, the nurses would give me more medicine and walk off, the ER doctor kept vanishing, I’m in this tiny bed and my poor mother is in this tiny chair – for HOURS! It was an experience that nightmares are made of.  I couldn’t get comfortable, my chest throbbed, my head throbbed, I was nauseous – and to top it off, I had started my period out of cycle that morning so I had to deal with that on top of everything else.

Image result for painThey gave me Dilaudid, they gave me Morphine, they gave me this, they gave me that, they took me for a PET scan …. they did everything except call my surgeon AND treat my migraine. My fever had finally started to come down, but I was still in excruciating pain. I don’t know why people judge your pain level or sickness by a temperature. I honestly never, ever have a fever and the fact that I even had one was a huge indicator for me. My normal body temperature is about 96/97 degrees, a heightened temperature for me is 99/100, which is what my temperature was. But since it wasn’t the 102.5, I guess it just wasn’t a big deal. Talk about frustrating!

My mom was trying to get them to take care of me and do something but they all seemed like they were clueless. After about 8 hours at the hospital they give me a concoction for patients who have migraines and sure enough my migraine went away and my fever finally started to drop even more.

Finally, after more than 9 hours in the ER, daylight was upon us and I was able to go home and get on with my healing.

What a night.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s