Three Month Cancer Screening: Success

I would be a damn liar if I said that I haven’t been stressed, preoccupied, and scared shitless the past few weeks waiting for this first screening since finishing chemo 3 months ago.

Three months … That’s it. Honestly, it feels like a lifetime ago, but also like it was just yesterday that I was so sick and in so much pain that I could hardly walk.

I didn’t really tell many people that I was seeing my oncologist today, but the few I did tell told me I’d be fine. I thought the same thing around this time last year, I convinced myself  that it was nothing, stopped worrying and stressing so it made getting my breast cancer diagnosis that much more devastating, if that’s even possible.

I told my colleagues that I am “prayerfully practical,” meaning I wasn’t going to speak a recurrence into existence, but I had to be practical…prepared, incase it did come back.

I went to my oncologist’s new facility, closer to home and completely modernized and joked with the nurses about my “crappy accommodations” when I was going through chemo. We laughed and caught up while I waited to be called back to see Dr. Sun.

I was just coming from work, so I had my wig on. I’m comfortable not wearing a wig around my city and out and about, but I’m having a hard time being able to go to work without it. Although I work for the same company, I recently began working at a new client site and I don’t know many of the people and I don’t really want people asking questions. Also, it’s cold, so my wig is like a stylish hat – LOL. But honestly, I’m not ready yet and that’s OK. When I’m comfortable I’ll leave the wig at home.img_20170126_152550_384

My nurses loved the wig, they only saw me with head wraps and scarfs on and VERY sick. They asked if my hair was coming back and I told them it was, and joked how relieved I am that it’s not completely gray because everyone stresses me out.

I finally got called back and put my pink paper top on and waited for  Dr. Sun.

Once he came we chatted, I made jokes and he told me he loved when I came in because I am always positive and telling jokes. I agreed that that positive attitude and many, many prayers is what helped me beat cancer and get through chemo.

We spoke about my reconstruction, port removal and hysterectomy … All surgeries that need to be scheduled – at least the port removal and reconstruction can be done at the same time, so there’s that.

He then checked me out and I’m ecstatic to report – my cancer is still in remission! He also cleared me to have my surgeries. Now, it’s just up to the surgeons.

I’m meeting with my plastic surgeon tomorrow for a consult on my breast reconstruction since my body rejected the expanders, we need to figure out how he’s going to rebuild my breasts from scratch. I don’t want to stress that surgery, right now I want to remain blessed and blissful that I’m still cancer free!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s